Friday, September 24, 2010

September Prairie


-
-
For the first time in my life I have a U.S. style commute. By this I mean by car and about 45 minutes each way. While I decidedly prefer public transportation (and really, given the option who wouldn't?) or my former ten minute commute by moped, I have been making due and trying to find the upsides of my situation. Perhaps the best part is that I don't have to drive through a crowded metro area, but rather I drive between a metro area and a small town, crossing an idyllic Midwestern landscape. At this time of year that means hundreds of thousands of sunflowers, farm fields turning from green to gold, and rolls of hay dotting fields of cattle. The above photo is from the Ernie Miller Nature Center, which I pass each day and which is fairly representative of the scenery through which I drive. Below is one of my favorite paintings from the Spencer Museum of Art, Near Sundown by Grant Wood, which I am reminded of each day that I cruise along K-10, listening to the news on NPR in the morning and music on my iPod in the afternoon, soaking up the prairie scenery.
-


No comments: