Friday, August 31, 2012

Wandering the Stacks

This week I had the pleasure of wandering the stacks at KU's Watson Library.

Usually when I'm working on research, I use the fantastic retrieve from shelf service offered by the library. While browsing the online catalog one can just click on a button at the bottom and have a book delivered to the front desk of any library on campus. This saves me a lot of time and many trips up the hill to Watson, as I'm generally on a different part of campus. Earlier this month, though, the Art Library was hit with a huge flood from a water main break, and remains under construction, so I can't get books delivered to my part of campus. I could still have books delivered to the Watson desk, but yesterday I decided to wander the stacks for a bit in search of what I needed.

First off, this took a long time. While it was great fun to wander through the narrow stacks of books, take the ancient cage elevators up to the half floors, and cruise past the mid-century research desks, I had forgotten how huge Watson Library is. I had books to find on 1 East, 1 1/2 Center, 1 Center, 3 West, and the East Asian Collection on 5. The library was built in the 1920s, but the half floors were added later to provide additional space. Some areas of the library feel quite hidden away, and others have great views out over the valley from tiny windows that one happens upon. There is definitely a sense of discovery in wandering the stacks.

Second, a few things weren't on the shelf. While the student library employees will take the time to find incorrectly shelved books, I didn't have very much time. This is another reason I like to use the service- it keeps students employed.

In any case, it was pleasant to see students studying in the various nooks throughout the library, and to find some bonus books on the shelf by looking at the titles surrounding the texts I was looking for.

No comments: