Monday, June 26, 2006

MFA in Nagoya





On Sunday Laura and I went to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, Nagoya to see "The Allure of Edo" a show of Ukiyo-e paintings from the Edo period (1600-1868). This was an absolutely amazing show!! Over 80 paintings by artists like Hokusai and Utamaro. The museum is an extension of the Boston MFA. After a coffee break, we headed over to the Atsuta shrine, dating from the 3rd century and housing an important sword that according to legend was handed down to the imperial family by the goddess Amaterasu. Unfortunately only the imperial family and a few shinto priests actually get to see the sword, but the shrine was pleasant to visit nonetheless. In the evening we watched one of my favorite movies ever, "The Big Lebowski" and ordered pizza, which was incredibly tasty. While I like Japanese food, there are just sometimes that I can't betray my American-raised tastes. :)

No comments: