Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Day After Earth Day

On Saturday I was waiting in the car as Joe ran into the Brookside Cosentino's to pick up cheesecloth, watching the multitude of shoppers enter and exit the store. As I observed, I became increasingly disheartened to see that less than a third of the people leaving the store had re-usable shopping bags. Come ON, people. It's the day after Earth Day. Re-usable bags are sold everywhere for as little as $1. You know you are going to the grocery store, so bring some bags! I only wish they would start charging people for using plastic or paper bags. Sure, we get them every once in a while so we have them for cleaning up after the dog on walks, or for use as liners in the bathroom trash can, but when I see people exiting the store with 20 plastic bags I just think about the level of environmental and social irresponsibility that comes with being so careless and thoughtless about our shared surroundings. Bring a bag, be a good citizen.

No comments: