Sunday, July 16, 2006

Customer service


Some things in Japan are vastly different than in America. Take for example the Mini-stop. This is the convienience store that is in front of the dorm. While on the outside it may look just like any American covienie, it is not. The products that are offered are similar, but with the expected cultural differences, a wide range of beverages, snack food, magaznies, toilitries, etc., except there is far more green tea, they sell hot mustard flavored rice chips (my favorite!) and instead of hot dogs and burgers they sell sushi and soba noodles. The main difference here though, is customer service. Once when I asked if they had a certain product the clerk actually ran over to the section and apologized profusely when she discovered they were out for the day. Another time when purchasing coffee in the morning I left my sunglasses on the counter and the clerk came after me apologizing, and offered up my sunglasses with both hands in a very respectful way. I can only imagine how this situation would play out at a 7-11 in America. This is not limited to the Mini-stop, everywhere one goes in Japan sales clerks and others in the service industry are curteous and eager to please. While I do appreciate the American ability to be straightforward and honest with others, I am left with a little cultural envy over customer service like this, and will defnitely miss it upon returning home. :)

No comments: