Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Kyoto Friday

Well, I should have known it would have been a fantastic weekend when I saw that the lotus were blooming. I do love lotus flowers very much, and also I love the Buddhist symbolism behind the flower, so perhaps it was a sign of the serendipitous weekend ahead. After arriving in Kyoto I headed to Toji, known for many things since its founding in 794, and also home to the tallest pagoda in Japan. Here I came across a temple market, held only monthly! What good fortune! I also spent some time exploring the temple grounds. After spending some time and money at Toji, I headed over to the hostel where I stayed for the weekend to drop off my stuff. In the evening I wandered Gion (Kyoto's entertainment district) with a fellow American staying at the hostel, having some dinner and a few beers, and some Japanese conversation with people we met. :)


No comments: