Thursday, October 17, 2013

Brunch and the Internet


O.k., guys. I think we need to take a minute here and be grateful for that most amazing thing of things in this crazy 21st century world of ours. The thing that connects us and gives us news and streaming t.v. and an insane selection of music on demand and lets us do ever-so-futuristic-and-cool video chatting around world, the thing that lets us discover new restaurants and gives us directions on how to get there, the thing that provides for library searches and shopping-delivered-to-the-door. You know what I'm talking about.....the vehicle for crazy cat videos......the place this blog exists.......

The internet.

Oh my god, I love the internet.

 In lieu of writing a haiku about the internet, I will tell you about brunch. I really love brunch. If I were rich and brunch were calorie free, I would go to brunch every day. Brunch is hard to find here in Tokyo. I'm not really sure what most Japanese people eat for breakfast, but judging by hotel breakfasts and homestays I've done, I think it often has to do with rice-fish-egg-vegetable or bread-cereal products. Regardless of that, I don't usually eat Eggs Benedict at home, but it is my signature brunch order. I usually eat yogurt and fruit here (toast and almond butter in the US). Also, brunch/breakfast restaurants are decidedly not nearly as widespread as in the U.S. So, I'm really craving brunch. It's been something like ten weeks. 

What do I do? 

I go to the internet. Google. Search. See a bunch of fancy and expensive hotel champagne brunches. Think, I miss brunch, but I don't miss brunch for $50.

Keep searching. Up comes bento.com. Then...... a review for Slappy Cakes

Brunch VICTORY!!

Let's consider how I would have found this without the internet. Oh yeah, I wouldn't have.

Some things are passed by word of mouth, some things are serendipitous findings. This place is on the 7th floor of a department store in Shinjuku, one of the most densely packed and bustling areas of Tokyo, which is one of the most densely packed and bustling cities on the planet. Simply, I would never have just found my way to Shinjuku, which is half way across Tokyo from where I live, found my way into the Luminare Department Store, found my way to the 7th floor (one of three floors of food in this one particular department store in a city full of awesome department stores), and come across Slappy Cakes, which is one of about 15 restaurants on this floor. The probability of this happening is, well, very unlikely.

Admittedly, the internet can be a place where this ability to find a needle in a haystack can work against humanity (as in weirdos finding other weirdos to do their thing, or in our increasing self-separation politically), but it can also be amazing and can let us connect in the most wonderful ways.

I connected with my brunch companion through email. I read with great relief about the end of the Republican government shutdown on the internet this morning (while on the train on my way to brunch, incidentally). I video-chatted with my family via the internet today. I did research via KU Libraries on the internet this afternoon. I streamed music while making dinner. I practice yoga with Youtube videos a few times a week.

I know it may be obvious, but the myriad ways in which technology has transformed our lives is truly amazing. We live in the future, and let's all take a minute to think of how cool that really is.

PS- Slappy Cakes was really tasty. I can't wait to go back.

No comments: