Tuesday, November 26, 2013

File under: things I don't understand

Tokyo University's Akamon (Red Gate) with golden gingko leaves in the background.

It's been a busy few days filled with museum exhibits, a day trip to my old stomping grounds in Yokohama, lectures, library research, archival research, food and beer time with friends, and a notable train delay (a very rare occurrence in Japan). All great stuff, and all very worthy of sharing with the internets. But, as I'm short on time and sleep, it'll suffice to tell of perhaps the most head scratching story of all- today's archival experience. 

I found some amazing stuff at one of the many Tokyo University archives this afternoon; lots of great images and one particularly interesting text. Luckily, the late 19th and early 20th century magazine I was searching through was digitized on a DVD ROM, so searching wasn't as painful as it could have been, and printing was quite simple. Until I went to pay. This particular archive didn't accept payment at their window, and also didn't accept library copy card payment. Instead, I had to take my self-count of print outs up to the window, write down every page I copied (title, date, page), and tally the damage. Almost 2000 Y (about $20). I then received a sheet of directions on how to complete a bank transfer to the archive. Yup, a bank transfer. For copies. So, I walked the two blocks over to the ATM through the beautiful autumn foliage of campus, waited in line for a few minutes, and then proceeded to place cash in the ATM and go through a very long string of transaction screens before receiving a receipt. I took this receipt back to the archives and submitted it in order to receive my university ID, which they held throughout my use of their facility and my ATM adventure. Archive win!

The thing that always strikes me about these types of interactions is my lack of understanding of "the system." I had to ask the archivist two times if I was understanding the system correctly, and from his humorous responses, I'd venture to say that I'm not the only one who has had a slightly dumbfounded reaction to paying copy fees via bank transfer. Sometimes the words make sense, but the concepts are what confuse the issue. In any case, I know can claim knowledge to another way of doing things, and was so happy to have the chance to acquire some great material and to visit Tokyo University in it's autumn glory.

No comments: